Talk about a match made in heaven. Breakfast mornings just got a little sweeter with these Strawberry Jam-Filled Pop Tart Donuts.
Whether recreating the old school’s strawberry pop tart or a more adventurous flavor (shout out to the legendary Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ones) you better believe normal pop tarts won’t cut it anymore.
2 packet yeast
1/4 ounce packets
1/4 cup warm water 105-115 degrees
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk scalded, then cooled
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
5 cups all-purpose flour
4 cups vegetable shortening or vegetable oil if you would prefer for frying
Pink and Red food coloring.
1. Add water and yeast together in a your stand mixer and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Add in the milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 2 cups of the flour.
3. Turn the stand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, then add in the rest of the flour and mix until just combined.
4. Take the bowl out of the stand mixer and cover with a clean towel to let it rise for an hour.
5. When you can push down on the dough and your fingerprint stays you’re ready to move on to the next step.
6. Working with half the dough at a time, roll it to 1/2 inch thick on a floured surface.
7. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter cut out rectangles that are 4.5″ x 2.5″ in size with each half of the dough and out onto wax paper.
8. Let rise, covered, in a warm spot for 30-45 mins.
9. In a cast iron pan or other deep saucepan, heat the vegetable shortening to 375 degrees.
10. Please use a thermometer to measure the temperature as this is a critical step.
11. Fry the doughnuts on each side for 90 seconds.
12. On the side of the doughnut, make 2 holes with a wooden skewer about 1 inch apart. Push your piping bag into the holes and fill the inside of the doughnut with jam.
13. While the donut pop tarts are cooling, mix together your milk, strawberry extract, powdered sugar, and pink food coloring until smooth. Repeat with red food coloring.
14. Once the donut pop tarts are cooled completely, pipe the pink strawberry icing onto the tops of the donut pop tarts.
15. Wait until the icing has fully set and continue to pipe the red “jam drizzle”.
Do you consider yourself a sucker for donuts of all kind? We took a take on Mexican Rainbow Conchas which are technically our version of donuts, kinda. And they are rainbow, so that is that.